Saturday, January 16, 2010

Multitude Monday

Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:6



I received word this weekend that a woman who is very dear to me is losing her battle with cancer. When we moved to Kenya in 2000, I met her. This dear woman, mother of ten children, was a mentor to me. I was a new missionary, homeshooling two young children and I had a new and very fussy baby. She encouraged me and the other moms by her kindness, gentle words, and help. I have always said "I want to be Marty when I grow up!" I am so far from it! I have been praying for her and remembering all the special memories I have shared with her. I made a list of the qualities I saw in her, the things I want to be. I realized through Marty I was seeing Jesus. I want to be like Jesus , and I want the fruit of His spirit so evident in me as it is in Marty. This morning I am driving with my dear friend Pam to see Marty. I want to hug her ,tell her I love her and let her know how much she has meant to me. I know I will not be the only one, she is surrounded by her large loving family and friends who love her. Today on my gratitude list , I want to give thanks for Marty and list the ways I saw her walk as Jesus walked; the ways I pray that I too will walk ....




101. gentle and quiet spirit


102. love for home, family and husband, she is intentional about her love 103. She loves the Lord with all her heart


104. She never came empty handed , she always had a book, a loaf of bread , a word of encouragement


105. She always had time to talk, she is a great listener. Her words of advice and encouragement would always point to Christ


106. She pours her life into relationship


107. A diligent worker for her family


108. A compassion for the needy


109. She always spoke the truth with love, she could tell me something that may be difficult to hear but coming from Marty it was gentle and kind


110. She loves beauty and brought it into her home and life
111. She has a willing heart, she was willing to mentor us...


112. Her heart is full of gratitude and praise

4 comments:

  1. People consumed with God are such a blessing, I am sorry for your loss, and thankful for the blesing she was & is in your life. When I read aobut a woman like this, I'm motivated to be like her, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears coming down my cheeks as I read your list. It's always difficult to lose someone that we love but truly the legacy this woman has left in your life is longstanding and reaching out to others through your post. What a tribute to her! I too seek to be more like Jesus...intentional in relationship and speaking truth in love, always.
    Thank you, thank you for your post.
    grace and peace
    annesta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful memories of a friend so dear to your heart. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete