Thursday, February 18, 2010

I am an avid reader, a fan of books from when I was little. I remember going into the library at my school and being filled with angst when I could only check out three books. I used to hide the books I wanted to get the next time I came! I remember sitting after lunch and listening to my 4th grade teacher read one chapter of Tom Sawyer , the longing for just one more chapter. I have always read to my kids. Piles and piles of books. I have a list of essentials that I try to structure my days around . Reading aloud is one of those essentials. It gets harder to do as the kids get older. It is hard to read aloud to five children ages 17-4. At times I let it go by the wayside for awhile, but when I feel our family ties are frayed a bit ,I always start reading again. It is not just hearing a good story, reading unites us as a family. There is so much in this world that tries to divide us. Yes, a 17 year old teenage boy and a 4 year old little girl (and all the ages between ) can sit and listen together to The Life of Helen Keller, The Hobbit, Little Britches. I like to think that when the teenagers are no longer here, the little ones will have memories of sitting with their bigger siblings and reading. It is not always easy, we have many distractions but I continue to do it. Sometimes in long stretches,sometimes in short. Reading good books does so much for us. I am reading an excellent book about reading "Read for the Heart" by Sarah Clarkson. I want to give this book to every mom I know! Sarah says we "read to live." Reading awakens our hearts, gives us a strong mind, a steadfast soul. She goes on to recommend the best books for any age level, great living books that feed our soul. Great books that show us beauty, and ultimately point us to God.


So I encourage you to grab a good book , make some hot chocolate and read to your kids ,the big ones and little ones.......



THE READING MOTHER
Strickland Gillilan
I HAD A MOTHER who read to me

Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,

Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,

"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath


I had a Mother who read me lays

Of ancient and gallant and golden days;

Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,

Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales

Of Celert the hound of the hills of Wales,

True to his trust till his tragic death,

Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things

That wholesome life to the boy heart brings

Stories that stir with an upward touch,

Oh, that each mother of boys were such.

You may have tangible wealth untold;

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be --I had a Mother who read to me.

4 comments:

  1. The book by Sarah Clarkson sounds wonderful! Read aloud is a favorite time in our family as well. I like your verse at the top of your blog...I've heard that over and over these past few days. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy, what a lovely image I have in my mind now of your teenagers and little ones reading together! Yes, that Sarah Clarkson book sounds like a great resource. I will definitely check it out! Thanks for this post! I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, thank you so much... Yes, read to your kids that they won't be so lost when they are 16. Hold them close to you... Teach them well. And reading to them is a large part of that just as my grandmother had bible reading every night... I wish I could hear her voice again reading those wonderful verses...

    http://dailygraces.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete