Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Forgiveness

This Sunday was Forgiveness Sunday in the Orthodox church. It is a time when a person stands in a line and asks everyone else in the line to forgive him for the sins he has committed against them. They in turn say something similar to "I forgive you as God forgives you." Some even prostrate themselves before each person. Everyone does this with each other person, one long line of forgiveness. This is my loose understanding of this, as we are not Orthodox.
Today we decided to do this in our Sunday morning prayer time. We said some prayers and stood in line to ask forgiveness of each other. The tears sprang into my eyes at the start. There is something amazing and humbling about looking into the eyes of someone you live with and asking their forgiveness. Typically, my forgiveness goes like this.... "Do you forgive me for getting angry at you? But I was tired, you disobeyed, etc., etc." Forgiveness with a foot note. But as I stood before the people I love the most in my life the tears started coming. I put my hands on each person's face and looked into each pair of eyes and asked "Do you forgive me for all the sins I have commited against you?" Six pairs of eyes , down the line I went. Hazel eyes, blue eyes, chocolate brown eyes. "Do you forgive me?" I say to my son, who has become a man and stands taller than me. He probably has the most to forgive, because he has been around the longest. "Do you forgive me?" I say to my beautiful daughter, who is so kind , helpful and cheerful. I know I take her for granted sometimes. Looking into the eyes of the person I love the most, my husband, "Do you forgive me??" The deep brown eyes of my two little girls whom , although I did not give birth to them, I love deeply and I know I do not always show it. The hazel eyes of the little boy that makes me laugh the most. He has a strong personality and an equally tender heart, that I know I trample on that sometimes. They all say , "Yes, Mom, we forgive you." They forgive so easily. They do not realize all they have to forgive, the inner thoughts, struggles , irritations, and anger that I have harbored at times. I love these dear ones more than anyone, and they are the ones I need forgiveness from the most. These are the ones that see me working out my salvation with fear and trembling in the walls of this house and in the framework of our daily life.



I am so thankful to have the opportunity to walk the path to Christ with this family, we help each other on this path. Tomorrow, tonight, probably in the next hour there will be something else to forgive. Help me Lord on this journey....


O Lord and Master of my life,

Grant not unto me a spirit of idleness,

of discouragement,

of lust for power

and of vain speaking.
But bestow upon me, Thy servant,

the spirit of chastity,

of meekness,

of patience,

and of love.
Yea, O Lord and King,

grant that I may perceivemy own transgressions,

and judge not my brother,

for blessed art Thou unto ages of ages. Amen.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

(St. Ephraim)


Col. 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

-this post is from the archives



5 comments:

  1. We posted on the same verse, Amy!

    Soul sisters, we are! And the ways of God... the ways of God.

    This: "Forgiveness with a foot note." Yes... how I have lived.

    May we join you in this, in this asking for forgiveness from each other in our home today?

    My heart is joined with yours, Amy.... in so many ways.

    All, all my love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard words to say...especially without the footnoot...powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising HIm with you. What a blessed way to actually ask forgiveness and receive it from those we love so dearly.
    Thank you for sharing, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said. I also struggle with the forgiveness with a "but" at the end. I'm so glad that Jesus never added a footnote to my forgiveness. Thank you for sharing. Aloha *;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your comment on Molly's blog, and thought I would come over and say hi. We are semi-new converts to the Orthodox faith. This Holy Saturday will be our third anniversary :) I am glad you found Forgiveness Sunday to be such a positive experience. I always find that I walk away feeling so joyful, almost like a weight has been lifted.

    I hope you have a blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete