Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Amish Economy, Wendell Berry
   We live by mercy if we live.
To that we have no fit reply
But working well and giving thanks,
Loving God, loving one another,
To keep Creation's neighborhood.

And my friend David Kline told me,
"It falls strangely on Amish ears,
This talk of how you find yourself.
We Amish, after all don't try
To find ourselves. We try to lose
Ourselves"--and thus are lost within
The found world of sunshine and rain
Where fields are green and then are ripe,
And the people eat together by
The charity of God, who is kind
Even to those who give no thanks.

In morning light, men in dark clothes
Go out among the beasts and fields.
Lest the community be lost
Each day they must work out the bond
Between the goods and their price: the garden
Weeded by sweat is flowerbright;
The wheat shocked in shorn fields, clover
Is growing where wheat grew; the crib
Is golden with the gathered corn,

While in the world of the found selves,
Lost to the sunlit rainy world,
The motor-driven cannot stop.
This is the world where value is
Abstract, and preys on things, and things
Are changed to thoughts that have a price.
Cost + greed - fear = price:
Maury Telleen thus laid it out.
The need to balance greed and fear
Affords no stopping place, no rest
And need increases as we fail.

But now, in summer dusk, a man
Whose hair and beard curl like spring ferns
Sits under the yard trees, at rest
His smallest daughter on his lap.
This is because he rose at dawn,
Cared for his own, helped his neighbors,
Worked much, spent little, kept his peace.

I love Wendell Berry ....this poem has had me thinking all week. How often I run
around like crazy and make things more difficult than they need to be.I do not want
to live in a world that affords no stopping place. I want to fix these words in my
mind this week as I care for my family....

Poetry Wednesday

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you again, Amy, and I'm so glad you shared this. Printing it out as a reminder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! I was so glad to see your name on the Poetry Wednesday link! I'm not sure I've ever read that Wendell Berry poem before - it is absolutely divine. I will be printing it out and reading it often.

    Peace to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this. A treasure. I have read some of Berry's poetry and loved all I have read, but this one has a special place in my heart because I have also learned so much from our dear Amish brothers and sisters.

    These lines moved me:
    While in the world of the found selves,
    Lost to the sunlit rainy world,
    The motor-driven cannot stop.

    Peace and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendell Berry. He always makes me want to be better, to work harder. He is like that beloved uncle you don't want to disappoint. What a timely reminder (don't we all seem to struggle with over complicating life?)

    ReplyDelete